Monday, 22 March 2010

What the hell have I let myself in for?

In December a friend of mine told me she was in the short list for funding of a play. She had written a basic synopsis and on 25th January 2010 she had her "pitch". She asked me if I would write the first scene of the play for her. We discussed the idea and I said, "I'll do better than that. I'll write the whole thing." So, during the end of December through to the 23rd January I wrote the play and I thought it was pretty good. It didn't get the funding but that had nothing to do with the completed script. However, I proved to myself. I could do it.

In 2005 I took part in Nanowrimo. Or National Novel Writing Month. I wrote a 50,000 word novel in a month. It's not brilliant but it's a first draft. I just need to do the second draft.

It dawned on me last week that I can write but I need that deadline. I need something to aim for. So, I sat down in the pub last night with Matt and said I need a deadline, I need a target and what came up was a challenge.

What the hell have I let myself in for?

On the 18th April 2010 (that's 30 days away from the start of the idea) Matt and I will record a 30 minute comedy podcast. It will be 30 scripted minutes. 30 minutes of scripted comedy by me in one month. I've written comedy before but never 30 minutes of it. Then it's not just writing it, it's performing it. It's releasing it. It's being told by a keyboard warrior on iTunes that it's not funny.

What the hell have I let myself in for?

As it stands at the moment we will record the first show and I want to release it to a select few people. If you want to be one of those people who reviews it then let me know through this blog or my Twitter page or whatever. The deal will be that on Sunday 18th April we will record the show. Then on Wednesday 21st April I will email you all with a link where you can download the file. You then listen to it and get back to me before Monday 26th April. I don't just want to hear, "It's good," or "it's crap". Justify your opinions. Be harsh and be honest. If the feedback we get is useful and the writing process hasn't resulted in my divorce then we'll look at doing monthly shows from then on and releasing them as a podcast.

In the meantime if you saw anything funny, heard anything funny, did anything funny or smelt something funny please let me know. No matter how trivial.

What the hell have I let myself in for?

No comments: